It appears this is a bug in the 'nouveau' driver. In most cases we would
recommend using the proprietary Nvidia driver instead, but for this
particular GPU that requires Nvidia driver version 304 which Ubuntu
doesn't ship anymore (usually because of limited support for particular
kernel versions by Nvidia).

The only suggestions I have are:

  * Use slow software graphics by adding a kernel boot parameter:
'nomodeset'; or

  * Use Ubuntu 16.04 on this machine
(https://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/), where the nvidia-304 driver is
still supported; or

  * [EXPERT] Install an older kernel like v4.4 and then you should be
able to manually install
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/123709/en-us or

  * Use Windows only.

I suggest the simplest solution for using Ubuntu on this machine is to
install https://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/

** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- [nouveau] Ubuntu desktop screen and whole app screen started corrupting the
display, I can't see the letters & display properly.
+ [nouveau] [Nvidia C61] Ubuntu desktop screen and whole app screen started