Has this (now confirmed) problem been identified and fixed, and if so,
which versions of the package(s) contain the fix? With this information,
one could update to the version containing the fix and seeing if the
system actually works as expected. I now generally turn off the updates
for these packages when the update manager suggests them, as I don't
want to interrupt my workflow by having to restore from backup if the
fix isn't in there.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  [vmwgfx] Update to mesa and xorg-server causes Cinnamon desktop to not
  render properly