@Daniel ..  Thanks.
* I think brightness-controller is a thin UI around xrandr.  If something in
Ubuntu is improperly changing "Brightness" and xrandr is the only cure, why
remove brightness-controller?  Or, do your comments about it apply equally to
xrandr -- namely that I should avoid xrandr, too?
* I rebooted and chose "GNOME" (one of two identically-named options); I'll
report back when (if) the screens go dim again.  If things stay stable, I will
report back later to help close (and blame MATE).  I did not notice whether one
login option said "on Xorg"; I'll look for that next time.
* Thinking back, I wonder if a screensaver was implicated in the problem.
* (Unrelated)  I liked the GNOME UI on 20.10; MATE 21.10 has some annoying
differences, so I am happy to learn how to go back to GNOME while staying with
the same version Ubuntu.

  Screen goes dim