Now I have tested a bit more back and forth, and here is a new attempt
to describe the nature of the issue:

Whether Right Alt works as the compose key or not depends mostly on
where in the list of input sources the keyboard layout in effect is
present.

If the layout in effect is the first one in the list, Right Alt works
fine as compose key. This is true whether Alternate Characters Key is
switched off or set to "None". (No problem with "English (Dvorak, alt.,
intl.)" either, in other words, if that layout is first in the list of
input sources.)

If the layout in effect is further down in the list, Right Alt may or
may not work as compose key. Not sure about the exact pattern here.

As regards Alternate Characters Key, I notice a marginal impact. If the
English (US) layout is not the first layout in the list, Right Alt works
as compose key with that layout if Alternate Characters Key is switched
off, but not if it's set to "None". It should be noted that English (US)
does not set Right Alt to the 3rd level key by default.

Steve, does the above description reflect your observations too?

Over to the question whether this is a g-c-c bug to some extent. I still
think that g-c-c sets sensible options, and that the unexpected behavior
is rather an XKB issue. The reason why Alternate Characters Key sets
"lv3:ralt_alt" is that it assumes that a user who picks something else
but Right Alt wants to be able to use Right Alt as any Alt key.

OTOH, given this issue wrt Right Alt as compose key, you can argue that
g-c-c should better not provide Right Alt as a compose key option...

** Summary changed:

- Can't use Right Alt as compose key with English (Dvorak, alt. intl.) layout
+ Right Alt not working reliably as compose key unless the layout in effect is
first in the list of sources

which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.