I have the same issue on an nvidia GeForce GTX 960M Hardware with the
same error output:

(totem:21578): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:52:48.831:
g_param_values_cmp: assertion 'G_IS_VALUE (value1)' failed

Gdk-Message: 22:01:34.548: Error flushing display: Protokollfehler

After removing `~/.config/totem/` and `~/.cache/totem/` totem could be started
but crashes if I try to start a video or sound file.
Starting via sudo seams to fix this, videos could be played, but w/o sound.

which is subscribed to egl-wayland in Ubuntu.

  Totem crashes on launch | GStreamer-GL-CRITICAL **: Failed to flush
  Wayland connection | Gdk-Message: Error flushing display: Protocol
  error