Sorry about the email post over-repeat!

Linux console!  I used to work on computers with a console, but that was
way back!  Mainframes likely still have them, even though they run UNIX
under the covers.  So I should avoid using the PC monitor?  Get a
terminal, install ssh for login, and come in from either a terminal (who
has one any more) or different host to do simple shell programming and
xwindows copy/paste?

I just want a terminal without any counterproductive behaviors, like the
xterm/vt100 without color escape sequences, not that I ever wanted grep,
less, or vi with colored text for anything -- reverse video highlighting
was quite sufficient.  Can you recommend a way to get back to a terminal
with text I can trust?

which is subscribed to xterm in Ubuntu.

  xterm processing grep color loses char at end of line