I have tried both ubuntu-bug and apport-cli; they both just return
without generating an ID number (that I'm aware of), and
/var/crash/_usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.upload is zero-length:

---------------

# ubuntu-bug /var/crash/_usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash

*** Send problem report to the developers?

After the problem report has been sent, please fill out the form in the
automatically opened web browser.

What would you like to do? Your options are:
  S: Send report (5.8 MB)
  V: View report
  K: Keep report file for sending later or copying to somewhere else
  I: Cancel and ignore future crashes of this program version
  C: Cancel
Please choose (S/V/K/I/C): s
# ls -lah /var/crash/_usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.upload
-rw-r--r-- 1 root whoopsie 0 Dec  8 11:52 /var/crash/_usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.upload
#

Is there something wrong with my approach there?

  X server segfault when starting youtube videos