I attempted an install QA test of Ubuntu Desktop mantic daily (0908.2) on
- hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 8gb amd/ati rv610/radeon hd2400 pro/xt)

I didn't see the installer, briefly got one error message (didn't have
time to recognize/read), then screen went white with oh no, something
went wrong... and I was kicked from gnome..

I've tagged this bug report, as I got 502 server errors on ubuntu-bug;
and looking it looks like this is what I had anyway.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  gnome-shell crashed with GLXBadDrawable on startup in a Xorg session