I have found a fix.
First I tried adding "nouveau.modeset=0" to bootflags, which got me to boot but
no greeter.
sddm appeared to be happily running but it failed to start the display server
restarting it did not help
"startx" worked, which gave me hope

It appeared the session "seat" had been determined by systemd to have
"CanGraphical" false

Then I found this:
https://github.com/mikhailnov/systemd/commit/c00bf275fdfbad3a9db8934b5e266b6abbdb8443

There's a heuristic hack which sets CanGraphical when the kernel starts
w/o graphics, but only if this is done via "nomodeset" rather than the
driver-specific ".modeset" flags

So I just added "nomodeset" to boot flags, and now not only does
6.5.0-28 boot and land at a working greeter again, but all the weird
sddm graphics bugs i'd been encountering since 6.5 are gone.

Hope this helps someone else...   And maybe this kernel issue will get
fixed, some day

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  task kworker blocked for more than 120 seconds nouveau