> This needs verifying in Oracular to see if it's still the case.

It is behaving as designed. Because NVIDIA has priority in EGL, it will
always be tried first. Without libnvidia-egl-wayland1 it fails so the
second driver is probed, MESA.

> If the maintainer of the nvidia-graphics-drivers-550 source package
could remove "libnvidia-egl-wayland1" as a dependency for the
"libnvidia-gl-550" package in jammy (as was the case before), this issue
should probably be resolved.

> I believe that's the fix.

Breaking the NVIDIA driver cannot be the fix ;)

What we probably want is to fix switcheroo, and make gnome-shell always
use switcheroo rather than only for "Launch Using Discrete GPU"

which is subscribed to egl-wayland in Ubuntu.

  Apps run on the discrete Nvidia GPU by default instead of the Intel
  integrated GPU