I also encounter this bug, in fact, it exists at both 8.04 and 9.10 at
least. The kernel may hang up randomly forever (I can not switch the
caplock/Numlock light, and Ctrl-Alt-Delete has not effect at all), I
tried to use vesa driver, ubuntu packaged fglrx driver, and downloaded
driver from ATI site,all these are "buggy", so I think that this problem
may not be exist in disaplay driver.

In Ubuntu 8.04/9.04, if I entered system by recover mode, then run
"telinit 5", then X11 can work well at most time. but this hack does not
work in Ubuntu 9.10 :(

The attachment contains /var/log/messages, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, the
result of "lspci -vvv"

The attached /etc/X11/xorg.conf is generated by the utility in ati-
driver-installer-9-10-x86.x86_64.run, in this way:

aticonfig --initial -f

That is all! thanks!

** Attachment added: "report.zip"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/34768046/report.zip

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

--
Screen randomly turns black with Ati Xpress 1100 graphics card
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.