Blacklisting i915 kernel module is not enough.  With the i915 module
blacklisted, and the initramfs image updated, the i915 module still gets
loaded somehow.  It looks like Xorg forces the module to load when it
starts up.

These are the commands I used to disable the i915 kernel module:
   sudo -i
   echo  "blacklist i915" >  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-i915.conf
   echo  "blacklist intel_agp" >>  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-i915.conf
   cd /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/
   mv i915.ko i915.ko.old
   update-initramfs -u
   reboot

My /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file is empty.

With the i915 module not loaded, I have a functioning Xorg that doesn't freeze.
 I am still running xserver-xorg-video-intel driver, but I don't get xv video
playback.
   [drm] failed to load kernel module "i915"
   (EE) intel(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device for : No such file or
directory
   (EE) intel(0): Failed to become DRM master.
   (II) intel(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section

BTW, this freezing bug is still present in the newer kernel package:
linux-image-2.6.32-2-generic

I can do some testing or debugging if that would help...?

--
[i965 X3100] X freezes randomly, only mouse pointer still functional
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.