I have two laptops with nvidia hardware, both running karmic, both using
the 185.18.36-0ubuntu9 driver packages.  The GeForce Go 7700 does not
suffer from this bug, but the GTX280M does... however the "videobalance
hue=-1..." workaround noted above (comment #11) only works for me if I
use "1" instead of "-1".

Selecting "X Window System (No Xv)" also works, but greatly increases
the CPU usage for high-res video... I'd imagine with a slower machine
that could be a problem.

Using the "videobalance hue=..." workaround on the 7700 actually
_causes_ the hue to be messed up on that machine.

--
nvidia sets HUE to -1000
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.