well .. i hate to bring you this news, but running the same wine setup
against a 32 bit kernel and 32 bit drivers and all that 32 bit stuff
gives me the very same problems. everything is distorted and my system
comes to a *grinding* halt within seconds ...

now, that 32 bit system wasnt quite as up to date as my 64 bit one; but
then again i keep thinking, glquake runs fine, as do other 32 bit apps
that use the 32 bit ati libs on my 64 bit system, so maybe its an issue
with wine rather than the ati drivers ?...

--
Open source drivers rotate textures on ATI Xpress 200M under wine
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.