Yes, we still need KMS to get this fixed, but KMS needs fixing too :) It
is pretty clear (from upstream) that this will never be fixed in the old
non-KMS path. I can only recommend that you confirm in the freedesktop
bug that -rc7 does not help.

Ubuntu 10.04 will probably use KMS by default on radeon, so it is good
that you test it and help iron out bugs. The upstream developers do not
care so much about non-KMS bugs any longer, and Ubuntu can not do this
on its own.

--
[RC410] Xpress 200M hangs when resuming from suspend with DRI (needs KMS)
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.