I don't see many people commenting who use the open driver, and no Karmic
users. I have an old Radeon 9600 Pro with the open driver. I've experienced the
same behaviour described here: huge lag and high cpu usage by xorg during
unminimising, maximising, unmaximising and generally resizing windows. Felix
Kuehling's patch fixed these problems although I'm not sure if X+Compiz is
working as smooth now as it did on Jaunty.
What I haven't yet found an explanation for is that these problems only
appeared after moving to Karmic (fresh install) while the no-backfill patch is
supposed to have already beed dropped in Jaunty.
Other than the speedup, I can see another effect of applying Felix Kuehling's
patch: when unminimising Thunderbird window, the two panes showing folders and
message list appear black for a short time showing their contents.
As for memory leaks I haven't yet tested long enough to tell.

--
[M76] [ubuntu 9.04] [ubuntu 9.10] slow unminimizing with ati card and desktop
effects enabled