Binary package hint: x11-xserver-utils

Using the command "xset b [volume] [pitch] [duration]", I've found that
adjusting the first value does not adjust the volume at all, only the
duration.  The third argument also adjusts the duration.

x11-xserver-utils version 7.3+2 on Gutsy i386, IBM Lenovo Thinkpad z60t

Here is another report of another person experiencing the same problem
on a Dell 6400 Inspiron

Note that (like probably most laptops these days) the system beep sound is
produced by the same speakers as the regular sound.  Although I can adjust the
volume by adjusting the changing the master system volume, this is undesirable,
because I normally have the master system volume set pretty high to listen to
music; this makes the system beep extremely loud.
[lspci]
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML
Express Processor to DRAM Controller [8086:2590] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: IBM ThinkPad Z60t [1014:0575]
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile
915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller [8086:2592] (rev 03) (prog-if 00
[VGA controller])
        Subsystem: IBM Unknown device [1014:058c]

** Affects: x11-xserver-utils (Ubuntu)

--
Cannot adjust system beep volume, only frequency and duration
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/280767