Juan (#29): Agreed.  I gave up and decided to re-install 9.04.  It took
me three full days to get everything working properly again,
notwithstanding my extensive notes posted at
http://www.astro.uu.nl/~rutten/Recipes_Ubuntu.html, I again had to re-
invebt the weel for many tunings.  Even the basic reinstall was
problematic, the Ubuntu top install website only offers 9.10 and 8.04
"LTS" but trying the latter gave me endless bad-video screens without
installation.  I then found an .iso for 9.04 and found that one should
NOT click on Install, but on "Try Ubuntu without changing your
computer", and install only after that has opened, from the install icon
that then appears.  Now I have a usable computer again and I can lecture
again.

So I feel that Ubuntu adds a clicker "update" in the update manager
there should also be a clicker "undo update".

--
intel graphics laptop crashes with external monitor
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel (via bug 408432).