I didn't follow the discussion but maybe you're you're speaking about this :
http://library.gnome.org/users/multiload/stable/multiload-introduction.html.en

I always had some random crash of X since I installed Karmic. At boot
time X was always crashing then restarting but since I've uninstalled
this applet from gnome panel, boot time is ok. It's still to early to
say that my random crashes are solved.

Sorry for my english, I hope I understood what you asked :)

--
Xorg assert failure: X: ../../src/i830_batchbuffer.h:79:
intel_batch_emit_dword: Assertion `pI830->batch_ptr != ((void *)0)' failed.