Hi - Thanks for all the info above. Unfortunately jth's fix #10 didn't
work for me.

I have the same symptms - KDE starts sucessfully with gdm as the window
manager, but not with kdm :

- 'kdm[5107] X server died during startup' 'Failed to start X server. Starting
failsafe X server.'
- I can only start the system by a combination of : killall Xorg / killall kdm
  - kdm then respawns and starts correctly
  - Sometimes I have to log-in remotely to issue these commands as my screens
are totally blank on ctrl-alt-F1
- I have dual screen monitor and I sometimes I get the message on the bootup
monitor 'wrong screen resolution' (think that is in 'safe mode graphics')
- Also in /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc I have three similar sections:  [X-*-Core]
[X-:0-Core] [X-:*-Core], and I adjusted the first one.
- I also tried timeout of 500, but I still cannot start my system normally
- I have a dual-monitor setup, nvidia graphics card GEforce 9300 GE), nvidia
driver: 185.18.36

Any help/guideance/ suggestions to try would be most welcome!.

--
kdm fails to start/restart (but gdm does properly) in kubuntu karmic 64 bits
and nvidia driver 185 -- Solved!