I confirm the bug, since latest updates including xorg and kernel-image-
generic.

I don't think it's driver related, since I'm using *unsupported* fglrx and a
simple "/etc/init.d/kdm restart" works beautiful...
It really looks like something is loading wrong at boot time, or at the wrong
moment,

Chances are, it's a kdm startup bug, since i read somewhere that gdm
isn't affected.

Hope it helps.

Dave

My config:

 * apt-cache showpkg xorg
Package: xorg
Versions:
1:7.4+3ubuntu10

 * apt-cache showpkg kdm
Package: kdm
Versions:
4:4.3.2-0ubuntu7.1

 * cat /proc/cpuinfo (processors 0 & 1)
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB

 *  lspci
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

--
Karmic + KDM + NVidia = Can't boot (low graphic mode)
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.