I connected a flat panel to VGA port of an Asus Eee Box with Ubuntu. The
monitor was mounted in portrait mode so I set up screen rotation from gnome
display preferences. As soon as I did it screen gets rotated, but windows and
panels were split in two, and everything froze up, mouse pointer was responsive
but everything else on GUI was irresponsive. Even ctrl+alt+canc wasn't working.
I was forced to reboot in order to restore. I tried also to manually configure
Xorg several times without success, restoring things via ssh every time...
because of GUI definitely broken.
Finally I was forced to switch to Windows XP and got screen rotated with Intel
driver utilities in no time...     :(
I don't have access anymore to that system (was a one-shot help to another
person) so I cannot provide screenshoots, logs and other info, sorry.

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

--
Gnome and Xorg freeze on screen rotation
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/499876