I think I have the same issue since I upgraded to Karmic.
I have an Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 and an Amilo LSL 3230T screen which has a
native resolution of 1920*1080. At the login screen the resolution is correct
but after I login it switches to 1440*900. It is possible to change it back
manually but no matter what's in the xorg.conf file the resolution will always
be 1440*900 after login.
VSJ: can you create a xorg.conf file so you can use the "Save to X
configuration file" button? Just to see if it fixes your problem.

--
incorrect x resolution laptop display
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.