I just tried another monitor (DVI) and it worked fine in all modes.  So
the problem seems to be that certain monitors are not recognized as a
DVI device.  The monitor which is not recognized is a Dell SE198WFP flat
panel LCD monitor.

Another curious thing is that xrandr occasionally reports more
information as if it is "trying" to detect the monitor as shown below:

m...@dell64:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2880 x 900, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 367mm x
230mm
   1440x900       59.9*+
   1360x768       59.8
   1152x864       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9
DVI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
  1440x900 (0x3f)  106.5MHz
        h: width  1440 start 1520 end 1672 total 1904 skew    0 clock   55.9KHz
        v: height  900 start  903 end  909 total  934           clock   59.9Hz

Typing xrandr a second time does not show those last 3 lines.  I do not
know why those last 3 lines show up sometimes but I think it is more
likely to happen just after I have plugged in the monitor.  The monitor
is a 1440X900, same as the laptop screen so it could be info about
either screen.

--
[i945] Macbook's DVI out doesn't work
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.