Dell studio 1535 also with intel GM965 express chipset on video.  I am
linux newbie but found a post about editing a line on the boot
screen(this is not my screen but a paste from the post) After the quiet
splash mine does not have the" locale=pt_BR" but I just added the
"nomodesetting" hit tab then ctrl+x and it boots to desktop with 800x600
resolution. Had no problems in 9.04. Thanks for everyones hardwork!  As
I learn more will contribute where I can. Let me know if any additional
info is needed.

                                 DAVE
title           Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

root            (hd0,4)

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=92583a31-1693
-438c-ae3f-61ab9b8ca13a ro quiet splash locale=pt_BR nomodesetting

initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic

quiet

--
white screen with colored vertical lines
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.