I believe I am seeing this issue on Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64. I have tried
upgrading to latest fglrx driver direct via ATI and no go. Can't
reproduce the hang, though it seems to happen more often when certain
apps are running. 99% of the time it comes during user interaction.
Things get slow then finally hang (from slowness to total hang is only a
few seconds), accepting no user input at all. I also notice the system
load graph in my taskbar steadily rising prior to the lockup. This past
time I was able to wait it out, after which I found the following in the
kernel log (twice):

kernel: [168616.677679] [fglrx:fireglAsyncioIntEnableMsgHandler] *ERROR*
IRQMGR returned error 1 when trying to enable interrupt source ff000035

It's killing me! Please let me know if there is anything at all that I
can do to help find a resolution.

--
Xorg crashed with SIGFPE in Phw770_ProgramMemoryTimingParameters()
which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.