On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Irihapeti wrote:
> Therefore, I'm inclined to conclude that one or more of the Xubuntu-
> desktop components is/are interacting with xserver-xorg-video-intel to
> cause the freezes.

Yes, that is probably the case. This is useful information. Often
there are specific system calls that makes it hang, and different
desktop environments make different system calls.

I meant forward your bug report to intel developers back in November
when you got the batchbuffer dump with xorg-egers, but it looked like
there would soon be some progress on some other 855GM freeze bugs
which would give us some test cases and possibly a fix, so I waited
for that. Eventually identification of the kernel patch that triggered
the freezes came out of it, but I haven't seen any progress upstream
otherwise. At this time they would need driver and kernel versions at
least at the Lucid level. Do you have Lucid installed already or could
you install it? Standard Lucid would probably be okay, but it would be
better with xorg-edgers on top of that and then the DebugFushCaches
xorg.conf option for the batchbuffer dump as described on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze . They may also want
to know if it also freezes with mainline kernel v2.6.33-rc5 which is
currently the newest, but I don't think that is needed for the
batchbuffer dump (you may want to avoid copying i915_regs in that
batchbuffer dump, since reading it may cause hangs - I think that one
has been removed in recent 2.6.33 kernels).

If you can get this information, I will report this upstream as soon
as I have the opportunity.

--
[i855] Xserver freezing on Toshiba Satellite A10 (Intel 82852/855GM)
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.