This time, I reproduced the freeze on a ubuntu 9.04 liveCD.
I installed version 180.44 of the nvidia proprietary drivers, and version
10.0.42.34 of adobe proprietary flash plugin.
The computer froze again while displaying the "Home" movie.

One interesting thing : I never experienced such freezes when I was running
ubuntu 9.04 installed on my PC, before upgrading to 9.10.
That leads me to 2 possible assumptions :
- the problem comes from a software bug, that appeared in a recent version of
nvidia drivers, or in a recent version of flash
- the problem comes from a hardware issue, that appeared precisely when I
upgraded to ubuntu 9.10

If it's a software bug in flash plugin, this bug appeared in version
10.0.32.18. Because I was certainly using the previous one (10.0.22.87) when I
was using ubuntu 9.04. Cf
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-nonfree_10.0.42.34ubuntu0.9.04.1/changelog
I'm not very confident that it could be a bug in nvidia drivers, because
version 180.44 is the one I was certainly using with ubuntu 9.04. Cf
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/restricted/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180_180.44-0ubuntu1/changelog

I don't think it could be a hardware problem : it would be surprising
that it happens only after upgrading to 9.10, and not when using the
nvidia open-source drivers.

--
Freezes with nvidia-glx-185 or -190 after upgrade from jaunty to karmic
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.