Success, for my FireGL T2 on IBM T41p with Karmic I did the following
steps:

1. Install "pm-utils 1.2.6.1-2" from
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/pm-utils/1.2.6.1-2
2. Modify /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video,
    comment the funtion-call "remove_all_video_quirks" in the section
<b>have_kms()</b>

As result this section looks like

have_kms()
{
    # if we are running with a KMS-enabled video driver, we should not
    # attempt to run any quirks
    grep -q -E '(noveau|drm)fb' /proc/fb || return 1
    # remove_all_video_quirks
    add_parameters --quirk-no-chvt
}

In /etc/default/acpi-support the following parameters are set:

VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate
POST_VIDEO=true
USE_DPMS=true

P.S.:
It's possible that it runs without "pm-utils 1.2.6.1-2"

--
[X1100] flickering after resume from ram
which is the registrant for xserver-xorg-driver-ati.