This exact same problem happens with me.  I'm using Ubuntu Karmic,
kernel: 2.6.31-17-generic.  I use an ATI Radeon X800 (Chip R420) video
card using open source drivers, and after using either GIMP or
OpenOffice the whole screen will freeze and only the mouse will move--
though nothing can be clicked.  The user is forced to do restart and the
words "clearing orphaned inodes" are shown during the next boot-up.

--
[i915gm] [jaunty,karmic] X freezes every day or so
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.