I don't know if this helps with your tearing, but this seemed to fix my
issues on my machine with video problems.  I checked to fix the
permissions of "/dev/dri/card0", but that did not exist per some other
recommendations. I then did a search for "card0" and saw that it existed
in "/dev/ati/card0". I changed permissions by adding the ability for the
group to use it (g+rw) and made confirmed that I was part of the video
group.  It seemed to improve my video handling on my machine.  Of course
your bug is independent of Compiz, but thought this may help others just
in case.

--
[RV730XT] [fglrx] video tearing / vsync problems - independent of compiz use
which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.