Sam,

Thanks for your comment.

I also found that "fix", while it did fix a lockup when ubuntu first
boots up, it doesn't prevent the overall stability issues related to the
video driver/or X or whatever the problem is.  Depending on what you are
doing (normal usage), you'll eventually trigger the lockup again.
Picking a 2D or 3D screensaver seems to be a surefire way of reproducing
the problem.

Note that Centos 5.3/5.4 seems to work fine on that hardware
combo(i3+H55).  Also, Fedora 12 Desktop worked fine.  I loaded X
screensaver (don't know if that is the same as on ubuntu) but also
loaded a large number of screensavers, and Fedora seems to be fine.  I
don't know or pretend to understand all the different versions of all
the utilities enough to tell why this is.  I've almost exclusively used
Debian, Ubuntu and derivatives (like Linux Mint) --- I'm not crazy to
jump to a Redhat based release.

At the same time, this is really frustrating.  I've got a brand new
machine, _really_ am trying not to load Windows, and I have very little
options to actually use this hardware!

Thanks

Keith

--
entire desktop environment locks up in 9.10, i3-530 proc, built-in graphics
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.