This sound like a GPU hang, and that would not always leave anything in
Xorg.0.log. (I have seen that it has happened with very recent versions,
though). There is more information about this kind of bug at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze , including information
about how to get a batchbuffer dump, which we need for this kind of bug.

The Arrandale chipset is a very new one and this is the first freeze bug
report I have seen for this chipset, so it would be nice if we could
troubleshoot this and send it upstream to the intel developers. If you
find the package upgrade that makes this happen, that would be useful
information. Likely suspects are the linux kernel, mesa-packages and
xserver-xorg-video-intel. Since there is a lot of development happening
for this chipset, it would also be nice if you could test the newest
mainline kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-
ppa/mainline/?C=M;O=D (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/MainlineBuilds for more information).
The newest there is currently 2.6.33-rc6, but -rc7 should also be
available soon. If it isn't solved by a recent kernel, it would also be
nice if you could test with the xorg-edgers PPA (https://launchpad.net
/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa) before we send it upstream, so that we know
the bug is still present in the latest code.

--
[Arrandale] Freeze on login after update
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.