Thanks stephan202!

I have done some further digging and it appears to be related to the
BIOS/EDID miss reporting information....My screen is a 15.6" HD LCD
1366x768.  the driver doesn't detect LCD correctly....so by default ends
up with res of 0x0.  :(

I did false the screen 1024 x 768 by fudging some of the code in
sis_vb.c file and re-compiling....it didn't quite sort out the
problem...it appeared to load the screen X (gdm logon) but as soon as X
tried to refresh the screen (ie if I logged in via  gdm or if I switched
to a Text screen (using crtl+alt+f1 and then back to X screen) - screen
goes black then fade to white from all four edges of the screen - like
the frequencies where way out. ) :/

So I decided that I need to start reviewing & understanding the source
code before I continuing....or find someone how is familiar with the
code to look at the problem further.....

--
[needs-packaging] no working driver for sis 671/771 video cards
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-sis in ubuntu.