Sorry, that first paragraph should have been:

I have a Microsoft Natural 4000 Keyboard with a USB connector and a
Logitech Mouse which can be connected either via USB or PS/2 mouse
connector. The two devices don't seem to work well with each other if
both are connected via USB (when the keyboard won't work in X, it
appears to works on a console). With 9.04 and 9.10, I used to be able to
have the keyboard and mouse coexist if the mouse was connected via PS/2.
However with Lucid 10.4 Alpha 2, neither connection approach (USB or
PS/2 mouse) works and the behaviour is different depending on whether
the machine just did a coldboot or a warmboot.

--
Microsoft Natural 4000 Keyboard and logitech mouse initialization conflicts
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in ubuntu.