any update to this bug... I am having the same issue (I believe...)
semi-newbie...  fresh install of edubuntu 9.10... (went to bed) and woke up
to the machine stuck at 800x600 max resolution.   no etc/X11/xorg.conf created.
manually attempted...   and got so frustrated with nothing working.
so decided to attempt ubuntu 9.10 itself.  again went to bed while formating
the drive...
and woke up to the same scenero...   and whenever I do the dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg... nothing appears to happen.. (and it didn't touch my xorg.conf
file).

--
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (with sudo) ends abruptly. Does not show the
configuration screens.