Following some advice from Bryce I have tried using my Aiptek 14000U
with the alpha2 release of 10.4 Lucid  Lynx 64-bit. I did a standard
installation and then plugged the tablet into the usb port. Everything
seems ok - the X-server didn't crash, the pointer moves and the mouse
clicks seem to work.

I realise that not everyone will be able to use alpha software but  this
solves my problem with the aiptek/waltop drivers. If I find any problems
when I try to use the tablet in earnest than I will log them as new
bugs.

--
[Koala] WALTOP tablets not supported anymore (with quickfix)
which is subscribed to wacom-tools in ubuntu.