OK, here’s a status update.

The patch I sent upstream has passed peer review, but GNOME is currently
in feature freeze in preparation for 2.30 release. I have filed for a
freeze break, but only received one “not totally against” reply so far,
so I’m not confident a break will be granted.

So I’d like to ask if this patch can be accepted into Lucid as a
debdiff. If so, how would I go about submitting it, apart from providing
the patch itself?

** Patch added: "Add tap-to-click gconf settings to gnome-settings-daemon"

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/39740497/0001-Add-tap-to-click-button-settings.v7.patch

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

--
Action for middle and right click is reversed since jaunty
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.