@Thomas:

The first thing I would try is removing plymouth. There are some issues
with plymouth that are causing gdm freezes and crashes. By removing that
we can figure out how much of your problems are related to it. After you
have tested without plymouth, if you still have issues we could perform
a git bisect of the ubuntu kernel between -9 and -10 to determine what
changes cause the failure for you.

--
[K8M800] Xorg freeze / Kernel 2.6.32-10-generic freeze
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in ubuntu.