Hi Vikram,

I thought I'd made it clear in my description and forum thread, but I
guess not.

This behavior applies to an upgrade install from Intrepid to Karmic. The
only way to check if it exists in Lucid is to do an upgrade from Karmic
to Lucid, which I plan to do when Lucid is released, but not until then.

As is the case with MANY of ubuntu's problems, the behavior doesn't
happen when booting from live disks - including Karmic live disks.

It happens immediately after log in when I use my normal user account.

It does NOT happen immediately after login when I use a clean test user
account, but it DOES happen with a test account when switching the
screen via Fn-F7, and when docking / undocking, playing video, etc., as
described in my forum post.

I do understand the reasoning behind backporting bugfixes. On the other hand,
my sad little two-post forum thread about this is the TOP HIT out of over 1400
when you google "ubuntu karmic thinkpad X40." When I filed the bug against
Karmic, I included all the necessary attachments. I don't believe a bug should
become "incomplete" just because everyone ignored it so long that it might have
been fixed in a different release.

--
Invisible Pointer at boot - fixed by locking / unlocking screen
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.