Thanks for taking a look at this.  Here's some more info: there's a
weirdness with vncviewer, too.  I can't use my xmodmap on both the
viewed and the viewing machine.  I can use it on the viewing machine,
but not the viewed machine.  Things get confused; the machines soon
begin to disagree about whether capslock is on.

This is a problem because of the inconvenience of being unable to use
xmodmap on the viewed machine directly (i.e., while using its own KVM).

--
effect of xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
which is subscribed to x11-xserver-utils in ubuntu.