Hi Mark,

No, xserver does not need acpi to be running.  We've known for some time
about the error message that gets produced when it isn't there; in fact
I had to quell it because it'd spam the Xorg.0.log (see lp #247195).
The spamming eventually got fixed upstream, but the acpi probing code
(and corresponding error message) is still there.

What the code in question is doing is setting up a listener to acpid for
power management events (suspend/resume/battery-status)  If it doesn't
see acpid at boot, it sets a timer to try again later.  So as I
understand it, it's not really X *depending* on acpi for anything but
rather honoring its presence if it is there.

I checked a recently installed/updated desktop and laptop and see that
acpid is still present on both, so assume it's appropriate for X to
continue to listen for them. I'm subbing Steve in hopes he understands
this notification path better and can shed some light for us.

--
*dm upstart job should depend on acpid because X tries to connect to acpid
socket very soon after starting.