I have a similar issue on my DELL M1330.
The only difference is that I go straight to GDM or to a screen with the
wallpaper of my GDM and no login interface.
Nouveau works fine.
I have tried the Suspend-Hibernate troubleshooting guide and there is nothing
logged. I will try the the steps outlined in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1144999 but I do not hold out much
hope as this appears to be a resume problem.
Once I get to my laptop I will go through my logs, etc to see if there is
anything helpful there.

--
Cannot resume from suspend with proprietary nvidia-driver
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.