Today I found that while I am logged in to Launchpad there are
situations where I can search only my own bug reports (don't have a full
understanding of the process yet). So I logged off and searched for
"More than one possible primary device found" and found bug 267241
("Xorg fails to start with more than one display adapter"). It seems to
be related to my problem but, according to the history, was fixed in
september 2009. Still I not only cannot start the 9.10 live CD but do
not even get any error message (when I try to install nothing is
displayed, so I cannot inspect any log files either).

I found that several hundred (637) bug reports refer to "...more than
one display adapter" (9 with "More than one possible primary device
found"). I did not check them all but what I found was all "fixed" or
"duplicate".

A friend of mine suggested disabling one of the graphics cards, which
corresponds to some piece of advice found in bug 311748#14.
Unfortunately my BIOS does not allow this.

I now switched back to 8.04, which seems the only version to work on my
computer. I have tried to update to 8.10 three times now, and I get a
"trying to resume from  ... no resume image; doing normal boot" and
cannot start the X server. At the moment I have no time for more
experiments. Please do not think that I carelessly filed this bug
report; I spent days and weeks doing reinstalls, and searching the web
while my old computer was still working.

I think this bug can be closed. Obviously my computer is the only one
still affected by it, and I am going to stick with Ubuntu 8.04 as long
as possible.

--
primary notebook screen remains blank in 9.10
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.