The problem is resolved when i changed to kubuntu 10.04 whereas it is still
there in ubuntu 10.04, after today's update the top and bottom tool bars
appeared but nothing is visible on the desktop window, no  mouse right click
....nothing can be done but anything from panel is working fine.....and in
kubuntu 10.04 all is working fine....except nvidia display configuration which
we can forget for the time being as rest of the system is behaving as it
should. I am providing this info so that any body can take the things further
to clear the issue and new person has the idea how to resolve.
Thanks
Rajinder Sandhu

--
nvidia x server settings on ubuntu 10.4
which is subscribed to nvidia-settings in ubuntu.