I have found this same or a very similar issue on a dell 1545 with intel
video, and with beta1, and updated to current (3/24).  I tried the
suggested fix, adding i915.modeset=0 and using UMS.  While it kinda
killed the splash screen, I discovered that a lot of the times I was
getting these mystery screen flickers and brief garbage was when it was
trying to display the new style tooltips, which I had not even been able
to see until after rebooting with the mode switch.  So it seems some
kinds of video updates or screen animations indeed do cause it in KMS.

2.6.32-17-generic

--
[i965gm] screen flickers whenever anything is drawn under KMS
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.