Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: nvidia-current

I cannot install the NVIDIA 195.36.15 driver. If I try to install the driver
downloaded from the NVIDIA website, first screen about building the module
proceeds normally. When the "Install 32-bit opengl drivers" screen appears, the
whole system crashes, and requires a power down with the power switch to
recover (no response to CTRL-ALT-DEL or ALT-SYSRQ-REISUB).
If I try to install the nvidia-current package, the installation appears to
work properly, but on reboot, the system freezes during bootup, before the
login screen appears, and requires a hard power down to recover. Note that the
190.53 driver, and all previous drivers, downloaded from the website install
and function properly.

OS: kubuntu-10.04-current updates, kernel 2.6.32-17 (problem exists on
all 2.6.32 versions)

green...@wolfenstein:~$ lsb_release -rd
Release:        10.04

I have tried:

Booting and installing with and without nomodeset option (190 driver from
website requires nomodeset option to function)
Removing all traces of previous drivers, and nouveau.
Manually removing nvidia.ko from /lib/modules/2.6.32-17/kernel/drivers/video
The nvidia-installer-log file exists, but is empty after a failed 195 install
(crashes before cache flushes)
Contacting NVIDIA - they say to contact the distribution-specific packagers (so
here I am)
Modifying, removing, and reinstalling with nvidia-xconfig the xorg.conf file
Installing from the console with 'sudo service kdm stop'

System:
Dell XPS630i Intel Q9550 (amd_64) 8gb ram
Dual NVIDIA 9800GT cards

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

--
Cannot install nvidia 195.36.15 - crashes system
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.