May be helpful:

I recently (as in 5 minutes ago) muddled through installing fglrx on a
home-spun Karmic using the Lucid kernel. After initial installation, I
found that X was terribly broken, flickering and near unusable.

I booted a LiveCD (aka the best tool EVER) and inspected my xorg.conf.
No problems there. I traced the issue back to a blacklist in
/etc/modprobe.d. Seems radeon likes to blacklist fglrx and fglrx likes
to blacklist radeon, so I was running basically without a driver for a
short time.

I removed both blacklistings (#commented out), reinstalled fglrx driver
from the latest download from ATI (10-3), then rebooted. This time I
manually configured my xorg.conf to get rid of any reference to radeon,
and Presto!

Prior to all that miscellany, I had been getting similar errors to those
you describe. I wish I had written down all of the individual steps I
took, so that they could be repeated better, but I am new to debugging.

Cheers!
Dave

--
fglrx fails to install in lucid
which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.