@Petr: That's the whole point: this issue comes and goes at random. Booting
with 'pci=nomsi' has failed several times for me too, booting with 'nomodeset'
works nearly always and booting without extra options (as it should be) works
every now and then.
You are right that the performance of graphics is sometimes very much degraded.

For the moment I can't test this very well because my graphical login is broken
(bug ), but when I try a normal boot, I'm still stuck with 'nomodeset' 9 out of
10 times.
Status should still be 'confirmed', maybe 'triaged' (any devs out there who can
comment??)

cheers
Tom

--
[Lucid] ATI KMS causes DRM error on X200M
which is the registrant for xserver-xorg-driver-ati.