I do-release-upgraded to 64-bit Lucid, and brand new fglrx release
exhibits same symptoms here (Xorg 100% CPU, blank screen, and the
Xorg.log stopping exactly at the same point as the submitter's one), on
a HD5770 w/ 1GB VRAM, and 5 GB of main memory.

It leads to unkillable Xorg, only resort seems to be rebooting.

One more remark: I haven't really had time to delve further on this
issue, but from the looks of it on the web (Googling around, and on
various scattered forums, i.e ubuntuforums, phoronix.com, etc), it seems
exclusive to 64-bit setups, especially with large amounts of RAM and
recent models of Radeons (HD3xxx and upwards).

Someone seemed to point to MTRR as culprit, based on past problems with
other (Intel or older ATi) cards (and also based on successes after
manually fixing MTRR mapping).

--
[fglrx karmic] Black screen and no response after starting X (Radeon HD3870)
which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.